Boonville has a rich history dating back thousands of years; Native Americans inhabited the area for 10,000 years.
In the early 1800’s Daniel Boone’s sons, Nathan and Daniel Morgan, came upon the salt lick in present day Howard County, just across the river. Recognizing the value of salt for pioneers, the Boone brothers settled and opened shop, thus the original Boone’s Lick or Boonslick name. In 1810 widow Hannah Cole and her nine children homesteaded the Boonslick area.
The town was formally platted in 1817 and prospered in the late 1820’s. Throughout the 1820’s and 30’s the town was home to river trade and a jumping-off point for the Santa Fe Trail. On February 10, 1839, the city was officially incorporated.
The development of the railroad and the start of the Civil War dramatically changed Boonville. Because of its prime location on the river, Boonville was sought after by both the Confederates and the Union armies.
Boonville saw two civil war battles and two occupations; it is the major intersection of south and north, east and west. Boonville is proud to preserve, celebrate, and recognize all of its history.
Boonville features multiple historic markers throughout the town pointing out various Civil War, Lewis and Clark, and Santa Fe Trail landmarks, as well as other significant points of interest.
With over 400 historic properties on the National Register in the city alone, there are a several places not to be missed.
is representative of 1830’s architecture and is one of the oldest landmarks in town. It is currently used for local events and festivals.
is the longest used jail, from 1848-1979, and is open for tours. It was the location one of the last public hangings in Missouri in 1930.
Boonville was the site one of the First Civil War land battles on June 17, 1861 and would be the site of three more battles throughout the war. Boonville changed hands a couple of times, but it was after the Union won that first battle that claimed unbroken control of the Missouri river for the North throughout the remainder of the war.
is the only remaining Spanish Mission style depot left, out of five that were built on the MKT Railroad. Built in 1911-1912, the depot is on the National Register of Historic Places. It has been fully restored and is used as a bike shop and the Boonville Area Chamber of Commerce office. In its glory days, Boonville was a popular stop and as many as 25-30 trains came through each day.
was the oldest military academy west of the Mississippi River. The campus, now owned by the City of Boonville, is used in different parts for the Boonslick Heartland YMCA, State Fair Community Collegel and the grounds are used for many local events and festivities, as well as soccer and baseball fields for local youth sports.
is the longest continually operated theater west of the Alleghany Mountains. Built in 1855, it served as a hospital and morgue during the Civil War.
is the state headquarters for the Missouri State Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution. The beautiful home is the last of the Main Street Mansions and was built in 1895. Tours and special events are available throughout the year.
was an African American public school in Boonville, built in 1939, and is currently used as a community center by the Concerned Citizens for a Better Community.